Keywords: References, dependencies, relations
This article goes through the creation and editing of references and their dependencies.
We'll cover three different actions:
Create a reference between two components
Create a new reference type
Edit a reference type
Create a Reference
Let's start with how you create a reference between two components.
A reference documents a dependency between two components. Each reference has a source component and a target component.
1. To create a reference, hover the cursor over the source component in the component list on the left-hand side of the screen. A link icon will appear to the right of the component name. Click on this link icon.
2. Without holding the mouse button down, move the cursor to the target component and click on it. This will open a "Create Reference" wizard on the right-hand side of the screen.
3. Select which type of reference you are creating from the drop-down list. The alternatives in the list are those defined in the model for this workspace. Click save.
Create a New Reference Type
The reference types are linked to the Workspace. This will help you document consistently what is important to optimize filtering and view output. We highly recommend being as specific as possible when working with references, to make filtering and working with the views easier for you when you have a lot of data. If in doubt, two unique references are better than one.
1. Make sure you have the Workspace you want to create references from open (the source Workspace), and that you have chosen that as your context.
2. To create, edit, and delete new reference types, go to the main menu (upper-right corner), choose the Workspace tab, and click on 'Manage Reference Types'.
3. Here you see all your reference types. Create a new one by clicking on 'ADD REFERENCE TYPE' at the bottom. Our best practice is to make it as specific as possible, as shown below:
Remember that the Workspace you are creating reference types for is where your source component types are. This is the arrow going out from components in this Workspace.
Tip: References can also have Fields, just create a field and make sure it is set for a reference type.
Edit Reference Types
Editing references is done in the same place: 'Menu' -> 'Manage reference types'.
The list shown will be either the reference types available in the template chosen or the ones you already have made. Both editing and deleting are managed here.
Click 'EDIT' to change the reference type. This brings up the same form as when you made the reference type, now with options to edit and save.
Bulk editing and reversing References:
There are 2 ways to easily edit several references at once and/or change their direction.
1.- In the Block diagram view you can draw a box around the references you wish to edit, and then right clicking on any of them.
2.- Also in the Block diagram view, apply a "Group by workspace" grouping rule in the perspectives menu. Then toggle the "Collapse all" view modifier in the top menu bar. All references should now be aggregated and can now all be edited (or reversed) at once by right clicking them.
Keep in mind that if you reverse references between two workspaces that do not have the same reference types, you will have to select a new reference type for the grouped references. You can also keep it unselected to keep it at its original value.
If you still have questions or need more information, reach out to us via our website or by using the in-app chat. After all, we're here to help.